Tuesday, September 15, 2015

The Ocean Above Us



Between us and space is a greatly dispersed ocean, one as deep and mysterious and filled with life as the earthbound oceans. Wind moves currents of water in the sea and in the air. Clouds move like slow motion tides, like sea foam. I often watch the sky the way I watch tide pools and surf, the way I watch ripples and wakes. Less and less do I feel a distinction between the oceans and the sky. The water cycle we all learn as children feels each day more concrete to me. I do not know why, but it seems intimately linked to EbM, if my (admittedly damaged) sense of time is accurate. 
This morning looking into the ocean above us, the different pressure layers of the sky and their individual slow motion currents were so boldly on display I could not resist sharing with you. Looking up at the Chicago sky powerfully reminded me of looking down into the Gulf of Alaska, back when I spent five weeks as boat cook on a University of Alaska research journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment